Sunday 22 March 2020

Going Inside!

Light from the dawning day filters in through the gap in the curtains. It caresses my eyelids, and gently wakes me up. But before the body can move into an upright position, the mind sends a 2-word quick reminder – Janata Curfew. No hurry to do anything today. Lie down for a while, it orders. I drift back to sleep, only to wake up after an hour because the stillness of the morning has been broken by the bang of a neighbouring gate.

I open the door to pick up the milk that has been delivered home and say a silent thank you, and prayer for these guys who make life easier for us. Standing at the door, something feels different. It’s the sound of the silence! Never has it seemed louder than today.

But slowly, I begin to hear. Sounds that are otherwise drowned out by the traffic. The swish of a neighbour’s broom as she cleans the space outside her home. Water gushing out of a tap somewhere. At least 5 distinct bird chirpings. The squeaking of squirrels. Humming bees. Grunting lizards. 


Two days ago, at around the same time, walking through the park, I had overheard this conversation between two old grandmas.

“It seems we have to stay inside the whole day on Sunday.”

“Why? What about our walk?”

“Haven’t you heard? It is to stop the Corona virus from spreading! The walk can wait!”

Passing them by, I heard this well-informed woman cut short her friend's questions with what has now become a familiar refrain - “Modi has told!”

Faith, indeed, is a wonderful thing.

Mulling this over, I remember something else I saw just yesterday in the newspaper. Read this. 

Example of a covidiot?

I’m afraid this person is infected by a virus that’s more virulent and dangerous than COVID-19. It’s the virus of bias. The virus of scorning the message because you hate the messenger.

It’s the middle of the day as I write this post. 

The silence still pervades. 

And it seems to be telling me that I’ve said enough for today. 

On the day of “जनता कर्फ़्यू”, it’s time to get on with “अन्तः कर्फ़्यू”! 

Leave the world to its devices! 

Go within! 

Image from https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EThpyCwU0AATRy1.jpg



2 comments:

  1. Wow ...... Nice expression about the situation for 130cr PPL with heartfelt personal touch . Beautiful 😍

    ReplyDelete

Do share your thoughts on this through the comment section. All you need to do is click on the hyperlinked word "comments" at the end of the blog and then enter your message in the box that opens up. If you so wish, you may also get in touch with me through email: anuranganathan31@gmail.com