Saturday 22 December 2018

Fleeting Moments.............

December 12, 2018

I receive a call from Vidwan Shri. Ganapati Bhatt, the Samskruta teacher at S. Cadambi Vidya Kendra, where my son Sanath did his schooling. Just the previous day, we have received the school’s letter inviting us for the annual day to be held on 21st December. Sanath is to receive a merit prize for being the school topper in the May 2018 SSLC exams.

I assume the call is to confirm that we received the letter. And then, the unimaginable happens. I’m asked a question that leaves me flabbergasted. In my shock, words tumble uncensored from my mouth. “Why me, Sir, I’m sure you can find someone really good to come as Chief Guest!”

Pat comes the reply, “It’s because YOU are really good that we’re asking, Madam!”

Things move very fast after that. I’m asked to send my biodata. Within the hour, Bhatt Sir and the Principal Smt. Jayalakshmi Sharma turn up at my college with a letter of invitation, requesting my presence as the Chief Guest. There’s another request they have – I must keep this news a secret from Sanath. They want to surprise him on that momentous day.

“A student getting the prize from his own mother will be a historical moment,” they gush.

I agree because I don’t want to deflate their enthusiasm. Deep within, I wonder if this whole setup will be an intrusion on his moment of glory because teenage is a time when you want to establish an identity that’s independent of your parents. Because, although I don’t let it go to my head, the fact remains that people get impressed by me and my talk.

Anyway, there’s no point in worrying, so I do what I usually do when I can’t figure things out – leave it to Krishna.

On December 21st, I make up some story to avoid accompanying Sanath to school. I reach there alone and am given all the honour due to the Chief Guest. I do all the things someone in that role is expected to do – lighting the lamp, garlanding the founder’s statue, giving away the merit prizes, and addressing the gathering.

Sanath receives a hero’s welcome when he comes on stage. 


The ‘historical moment’ passes in a blur, but I notice that the kid who usually touches the feet of the guest from whom he receives a prize, hasn’t done that this time. Did he think, perhaps, that after all, the Chief Guest is Amma only?



By the time I get off the stage, he’s rushed off somewhere with his old school friends who’re now spread out across different colleges. They’re going out somewhere, and although he does call a few times during the rest of the day, it’s only to ask me to make some Paytm payment at an eatery/for the autorickshaw.

Later at night, we finally get to actually talk. Yes, it had been a surprise for him. But he doesn’t seem to be affected by it in any way – he is neither gushing with joy, nor does he feel I’ve intruded. He’s basked in his moment of glory and is happy about it. His friends have stayed back to listen to me speak and told him, “Your mother is superr!! Her speech was very informative.”

Where was he, I ask. Because he’s used to Amma’s talks at home, he had walked outside to catch up with yet another set of old friends – the security guards who’re standing outside the venue!

For the umpteenth time, I send up a silent ‘thank you’ to Krishna, for this cool teenager.




,

20 comments:

  1. Lots and lots of congratulations to Chy.Sanath and his highly talented and caring mother.
    Great madam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sir, for your blessings and kind words!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to sanath..😊
    He might be corrected to touch the feet of guest who ever may be...he can't just avoid for you are being his mother....I hope he will correct his mistake...it is honour for guest and being mother.
    Congratulation anusuya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're right, he will be corrected :-)

      Delete
  3. Well written. You as mother of Sanath would be very happy and proud of your son... Congratulations to Sanath. I liked Sanath's reaction of going with friends when you were taking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Venkatesh ji for your kind words. That reaction...is typical Sanath, I guess!

      Delete
  4. Amazing Anu, No doubt Sanath might have felt honoured for being felicitated by his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Anu! Must have been a amazing experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was, Meena! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. You would have delighted to honour your son as a chief guest. But Sanath would have very much delighted to be honoured by mother whom he respect all time doesn't need the gesture of touching feet in a public place. We as a relatives proud to have a nice mother and a son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sampath ji, for the wishes and kind words!

      Delete
  7. You are growing in stature. Liked Sanat's nonchalant reaction. He will only get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sundarasekaran! "Nonchalant" - yes, that's the word I was looking for!

      Delete
  8. Anusuya Akka, my apologies for reading it so late. Congrats to Sanath! God bless him. Personally, I feel proud and privileged to know you. You are so unassuming, yet you are a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Meera! I had missed your comment, and saw it just now. I'm humbled at your kind praise and let me add - it's equally a privilege to know someone as grounded as you, too!

      Delete

Do share your thoughts on this through the comment section. All you need to do is click on the hyperlinked word "comments" at the end of the blog and then enter your message in the box that opens up. If you so wish, you may also get in touch with me through email: anuranganathan31@gmail.com