Sunday 12 July 2020

A Sunday's Learning from Mrs. P

"Madam, Madam!" a voice floated in through the window. 
Something about it told me this was one of those salespersons who go home to home with their products. It was a slow Sunday morning, so I opened the door to see what the matter was. 

Outside my door stood an elderly woman, whom I guessed to be in her fifties. In her hands were 2 small plastic bottles that held a green-colored liquid. She thrust them towards me and began her marketing spiel about the newly launched herbal disinfectant and even opened one of the bottles for me to smell the liquid inside. 

I had enough stock of floor disinfectant for another month at least; but something about the way this woman talked got my attention. Mrs. P was delivering her sales pitch in a manner unlike any salesperson I'd come across till then. 

There was a quiet dignity about her, a genuineness in her selling that made it sound like she wasn't actually selling, but just informing you of something for your good. Perhaps that is the reason why I couldn't refuse her, and ended up buying 4 of those bottles.

As the money exchanged hands, I couldn't resist asking Mrs. P the question that had been uppermost in my mind. But I tried to couch it in polite terms to avoid hurting her. She was just as dignified in her reply. Her eyes clouded over, but still, with a calm smile, she explained how she had begun working in her late forties due to family problems. And that she had continued working even after the children started to earn, because she didn't want to be a dependent.

With a twinkle in her eyes, she asked me to guess what her age may be. 

"Hmmm...55?" I suggested.

Her smile grew wider. "No, 68," she corrected.

I was shocked, because she didn't at all look that age! I found myself wondering even more at her positive and happy spirit. Yes, she had difficulties, but just see how she was cheerfully going about coping with them! I said as much and expressed my happiness at having met her, because I had learned something from her. 

She smiled again and folded her hands in the typical 'Namaskar' mudra. 

"Thank you, Madam, for your kind words," she said, "It is the good wishes of people like you, and God's blessings that are my biggest strengths!"

I was so lost in the wonder of this amazing encounter that I forgot to ask if I could click a photo of her. By the time I realized, she had moved away from the gate. From my frantic efforts, I caught just a glimpse of her through the window.

And Mrs. P goes marching on....!

I've preserved this photograph as a reminder of  how one must face adversity with dignity and cheerfulness and a sense of counting our blessings.And I'm sharing it with you dear readers, to pass on the same positive spirit to you, too.

When the COVID-19 lockdown began, I couldn't help wonder about what Mrs. P was doing, and how she was coping. Given her positive attitude, however, I'm sure she would have found some way to still stay cheerful!



10 comments:

  1. It is a lesson indeed. Mam thank you for sharing your learning

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lesson of the day ....
    Thank u
    Pray that Mrs P is really peaceful, placed decently, palatably fed, progressively treated well and patiently taken care .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Archana. I'm praying the same, too 🙏🏼

      Delete
  3. Amidst dirty politicians, selfish people who tried to extract whatever possible, there are honest, decent, hardworking people like her, make this world, a better place to live, though their number is comparatively less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nirmala, and they set an example for us to follow, giving us hope that all is not lost! Thank you for your comment 😊

      Delete
  4. Anoo....love such people...This is again the proof for the life's most important lesson, "Attitude matters". I have a lot of people who would be working but not happily, cribbing all the time. I think we meet a very minimum few who are happy with everything. 7 years back, I had to quit my MNC job as I had 2 beautiful daughters at home and the job was very demanding. It was my choice but I am happy to see my daughters grown now. I have somehow managed to keep myself occupied with jobs, but I do miss my job as I had loved my job. But no hard feelings as who knows where's my destiny.🤔😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts with me, Suma. You're right, we never know what destiny has in store for us, or even about which part is destiny and which is our wilful choice. All we can do is to trust in God's will as we keep putting our efforts with a positive attitude!

      Delete
  5. Nice narration... I also liked that you didn't pity her but looked at her positivity. Life is a matter of perspective. Most times we have the option of choice to enjoy what must be done or crib, but still struggle and do :) .. And I remember a small card my manni gave me once "when there's no way out, let God in"... Even in the most dire circumstances, it would be nice to be positive... Yes not easy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sougandhi. Your Manni's card is true; perhaps if we let in God at the very beginning we won't ever need a way out 🙂

      Delete

Do share your thoughts on this through the comment section. All you need to do is click on the hyperlinked word "comments" at the end of the blog and then enter your message in the box that opens up. If you so wish, you may also get in touch with me through email: anuranganathan31@gmail.com