Saturday 29 August 2020

Learning from Nandi

A few days ago, I went to Malleshwaram to buy yellow Srichurnam for my father-in-law. In case you don't know what it is  - Srichurnam is the yellow or red tilak sported by Srivaishnavas on their forehead.

On the 8th Cross off Sampige Road, there are shops that sell all pooja/Hindu-ritual related items, and you can recognize them by the typical "cones" they have of turmeric and vermilion - arashina/haldi and kumkum. 

It's been ages since I had an occasion to visit these shops, but I knew the Srichurnam and some other items I wanted would definitely be available there. Now there are 3 shops of this type right next to each other and on a whim, I chose to go to the first one I saw as I approached the trio. 

A young boy was sitting there, and very pleasantly, he gave me the items I wanted and told me the amount I was to pay. Just as I was drawing money out of my purse, he extended a Haldi-Kumkum set towards me and said, "Madam, Arshina-Kumkuma togoli." He was asking me to take or apply the turmeric and vermilion in the gesture that is so very common in South Indian homes when married women visit. 

I was a little surprised, and my mind ran through the possibilities of it being some festival day. But I couldn't find anything significant about that day, so I simply asked the boy whether there was something special in their shop that day and the reason why he was offering the arashina-kumkuma to me. 

He replied that it was a practice he had cultivated, and he offered it to any "Sumangali" or married woman who came to purchase things from his shop. 

Such a simple gesture, but it made me feel so good and "at home". 

As I talked a little more with him and asked permission to take the picture of him in his shop with the Arshina-Kumkuma set, I learned a little more about him. His name is Nandi, and he has studied till 1st PUC, but couldn't continue studying (although he desperately wanted to) because of his family's financial difficulties. Now, he mans the shop but has fond hopes of answering the 2nd PUC exam privately. He also said he is looking out for a good job.  


Chatting with young Nandi, I was struck by how our culture survives because of such people who continue their traditional practices. Despite having his own set of problems, he was smiling and pleasant and had a positive spirit which I'm sure will take him far ahead in life. 

I said as much to him and told him to keep up his efforts to study. I wished him saying "Devaru volledu maadali" - which translates into "May God bless you with good things." 

I left the shop with not just my Srichurnam but also with a fond memory of one simple gesture that warmed my heart and a lesson about staying positive even in the face of difficult situations.

Edit: One of my friends Dr. Nirmala, wrote to me after reading this post. 
"Really touching.
Had the same experience when I had visited.
When I offered him some extra money , he refused
Was really taken aback by his self esteem." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do share your thoughts on this through the comment section. All you need to do is click on the hyperlinked word "comments" at the end of the blog and then enter your message in the box that opens up. If you so wish, you may also get in touch with me through email: anuranganathan31@gmail.com